Skip to main content

A little power outage makes one think...

 Depend on God and keep at it because in the Lord God you have a sure thing. (Isaiah 26:4)

I depend on my vehicle to get me places I want to go. I depend upon my washing machine to clean my clothes. I depend on my light switch to bring illumination to the room when I switch it on. There are tons of things you and I depend upon each and every day - some of them without even knowing we are depending upon them. My power went out this week, not once, but twice. That meant no air conditioning, no light, and no water dispensed in the refrigerator door. I am aware I have disclosed my dependence upon a few luxuries here, but trust me on this one - in Arizona you want air conditioning, you need water, and when it is dark outside, it is going to be even darker inside! The latest power outage was for several hours and in the middle of the day. We probably all count on this 'sure thing' called electricity to be flowing through those underground lines to our homes, but when a storm hits and that 'flow' is interrupted, we are thrown into chaos. Imagine an interruption in the 'flow' of your relationship with Jesus for just a moment. Would that be considered a 'luxury', or a 'necessity' in your life?

In mine, it is a NECESSITY - no flow in that relationship means my life is thrown into chaos bigger than any 'power outage' I have ever experienced in the natural sense. It is a 'power outage' of quite another type. The power of Christ flowing in our lives is something we all need to depend upon, but I wonder if we realize when it isn't actually 'flowing' as it should be, or worse yet, it is cut off completely? That 'flow' is maintained because there is continual contact with Christ - we are engaged with him on a regular and consistent basis. In other words, we aren't just 'casual' in our relationship with him. I depend upon his power in my life as much as I depend upon breath. Cut off my breath and life is no longer sustained. Cut off my connection with Jesus and things are going to get really ugly around here!

Dependence is defined as placing one's trust in something - to rely upon it fully. I take for granted the electricity will be flowing in my household - but at best, my local electricity provider only reports a 98% success rate in accomplishing this task at my residence. Imagine for a moment if God reported to us that we could only rely upon him 98% of the time - the other 2% of the time we'd be on our own to figure things out. How would that affect you? I wonder how many of us have those numbers turned around - depending upon God about 2% of the time and trusting in our own efforts to figure things out the other 98%? Think on that one for a bit today. How much are you actually dependent upon God? How many of us would actually notice if there was a disconnection from his power in our lives? If we want power to flow unimpeded, we need to ensure the maintenance of the connection. Just sayin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did obedience cost Mary and Joseph?

As we have looked at the birth of Christ, we have considered the fact he was born of a virgin, with an earthly father so willing to honor God with his life that he married a woman who was already pregnant.  In that day and time, a very taboo thing.  We also saw how the mother of Christ was chosen by God and given the dramatic news that she would carry the Son of God.  Imagine her awe, but also see her tremendous amount of fear as she would have received this announcement, knowing all she knew about the time in which she lived about how a woman out of wedlock showing up pregnant would be treated.  We also explored the lowly birth of Jesus in a stable of sorts, surrounded by animals, visited by shepherds, and then honored by magi from afar.  The announcement of his birth was by angels - start to finish.  Mary heard from an angel (a messenger from God), while Joseph was set at ease by a messenger from God on another occasion - assuring him the thing he was about to do in marrying Mary wa

A brilliant display indeed

Love from the center of who you are ; don’t fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply ; practice playing second fiddle. Don’t burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant. Don’t quit in hard times; pray all the harder. (Romans 12:9-12) Integrity and Intensity don't seem to fit together all that well, but they are uniquely interwoven traits which actually complement each other. "Love from the center of who you are; don't fake it." God asks for us to have some intensity (fervor) in how we love (from the center of who we are), but he also expects us to have integrity in our love as he asks us to be real in our love (don't fake it). They are indeed integral to each other. At first, we may only think of integrity as honesty - some adherence to a moral code within. I believe there is a little more to integrity than meets the eye. In the most literal sense,

The bobby pin in the electrical socket does what???

Avoidance is the act of staying away from something - usually because it brings some kind of negative effect into your life.  For example, if you are a diabetic, you avoid the intake of high quantities of simple sugars because they bring the negative effect of elevating your blood glucose to unhealthy levels.  If you were like me as a kid, listening to mom and dad tell you the electrical outlets were actually dangerous didn't matter all that much until you put the bobby pin into the tiny slots and felt that jolt of electric current course through your body! At that point, you recognized electricity as having a "dangerous" side to it - it produces negative effects when embraced in a wrong manner.  Both of these are good things, when used correctly.  Sugar has a benefit of producing energy within our cells, but an over-abundance of it will have a bad effect.  Electricity lights our path and keeps us warm on cold nights, but not contained as it should be and it can produce